Using and throwing that plastic straw

lychee9416
Using and throwing that plastic straw is a really trivial thing, no? Simply how much time does it receive anyway? A few seconds? Chucking that thin little nothing in the can and forgetting about it. But the irony is that, THAT trivial thing will certainly outlive you, me and several generations to come. And this is something thinking about.

Reduce, Reuse and Recycle will not be the buzz words anymore that him and i used to use inside our school speeches. They really are a cure to the ecological disaster all of us are sitting on at the moment. And even the smallest of eco-friendly alternatives in order to plastic have taken on the crucial role in our fight to protect ourselves.

With this particular thought process, two techies out of Trivandrum, Fariq Noushad and Previn Jacob Varghese own introduced a sustainable substitute for plastic straws – papaya leaf originate!
The duo has introduced an indigenous approach to reuse papaya stem waste products and make straws who have a shelf life of approximately six months.

“The stem from the papaya leaf, which usually travels to waste, makes for a nice natural straw. So, we have tied up with FORTY farmers from Trivandrum who grow papayas using a total area of 25 acres to procure this stems, ” Fariq tells The better India (TBI).
The prospect of using papaya stems mushroomed when the two childhood friends had been brainstorming to enter that sustainable industry after being employed by around two and a half years in the software company in South Africa.

“After doing our own B. tech from Kerala University and working in the software industry, we studied the economies and realised that nature is really a potential field to faucet. During our research, all of us found a vendor slicing the stem and placing it in coconuts. We all thought that though papaya is actually widely grown across India, the stems don't have a value. Thus, the raw material is readily available and affordable, ” states Fariq.

The research took the duo founding their organisation ‘Greenikk Sustainable Ventures Pvt Ltd’ in Trivandrum’s Kochuveli professional area to process the straws. At present their particular firm supplies 2, 500 sustainable straws on a monthly basis to a juice outlet inside city at Rs SEVERAL per straw.
Testing, Breakdowns & More
The techies embarked on their journey in 2009 with no prior experience to make straws and very little knowledge about how precisely the Indian markets job. From finding mentors would you guide them in making the straw durable that will conducting numerous experiments, Fariq and also Previn gave their soul, soul and savings to that project. The testing process was done in a farm in Neyyantinkara.
Giving an insight, he affirms, “We washed the stem in warm water to remove all the actual dust and kept the idea for drying in natural light. However, we realised the straws were shrinking and so they tasted bitter. So we added sodium and turmeric in boiled water reduce the taste. Regarding the actual shrinking problem, we realized they needed limited sun exposure. ”

The controlled drying led them to develop a 3-step process. For the identical, they purchased two units, a water bath and oven using their savings and designed any control drying machine on their own.

Things progressed as soon as the machines came in. To test if their product had been worth selling, they even participated at the TATA Social Enterprise Difficult task at IIM Kolkata. Among entries from 500 innovators, their product was cost-free runner up.
Fariq and Previn own hired a team regarding around ten people to perform the machines and undertake the manufacturing process.

Following a straws are purchased on the farmers, they are delivered to the warehouse where each one stem is cut straight into two halves and laundered in clean water. They're dried and then soaked from a solution that removes proteins. The past step is packaging. The machines could make 4, 000 durable straws inside a day which amounts in order to almost a lakh a month. The profits are separated equally between the duo plus farmers, thus providing farmers with an extra income.

One-time use plastic such things as straws are extremely bad for the environment and they take centuries to decompose. Previn and Fariq’s sustainable solution could help in eliminating the need for plastic straws to your large extent.
where to get straw making machine 201911ld

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

ns1336
I found this sustainable substitute to plastic straws very fascinating. By know everyone knows how bad plastic straws are for the environment and how long they take to decompose. However, I don’t think most people know that the stems of papaya leaves can be used to create a reusable straw that lasts approximately six months. It really is too bad that not many people have heard of this technique before, since it not only creates a sustainable product, but it also uses a raw material that would usually go to waste. I hope in the future, as technology advances, there are more options for sustainable products that are easy and convenient for consumers. This will push more people to buy them, which will then help save the environment.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

lukeo
The using and throwing away of Plastic straws have become a big environmental issue because of the thousands of straws that are used everyday. A plastic straw has lifetime that is way greater than a humans and generations after that. I feel the creation of the papaya straw is a very Ethical one. It is stated in the article that papayas are used a lot in India and the stem goes to waste. This raw material is available and affordable. I know in recent years they have made lid's that you can sip out of for cold beverages similar to hot ones, but the lid uses more plastic than an original top for a straw to go in. And many people love to drink drinks with a straw. That is an improvement with the right idea but falls short. Hoping with the advances of technology that there can be a straw that is ethical to make and produce without the harm we cause to the environment with the use of a plastic straw.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

dannnyloving
I found this post to be very informative. It's amazing how there are alternatives to such a simple thing as a straw, and the impact that it can have on the world around us is so large. I believe we can benefit from looking into better ways to do things, like this. From a marketing perspective, I wonder how well this product will sell to mass numbers in the way we need it too. The most important advantage of all, for this product, being environmentally friendly, plays well. However marketers will really need to sell people on this benefit in order to compete against companies that can produce their straws for extremely cheap, without a shelf life, and that work perfectly well. I feel as though consumers see a straw as a straw, rather than a detriment to our environment, and if this is going to need to change if these straws are going to be successful.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

James-Myers
I think it is a great idea and innovation. I believe consumer would love the more environmentally friendly alternative to plastic straws and could see it overtaking paper straws if its able to break into the market and continue to be a sustainable option as causing a bitter taste is a big problem and would cause consumers to strongly dislike the product as friendly to the environment as it may be. As happy it makes me to see innovations making progress to help the environment it is also some what frustrating. It is very true that plastic straws are not good and cause pollution but what makes up the vast majority is major companies. One of the biggest sources of ocean pollution is the number of plastic fishing nets. I thinks its important and good that consumers are helping the situation but i feel like its important to realize what causes the majority of the problem and to also focus on that which can be done through government regulation of company waste disposal and people holding the companies that they buy from accountable.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

Caseyace
I agree that plastic straws are bad for the environment, and that’s is why it is time for a change. Some businesses that utilize a lot of straws daily have actually started to make a change. For example, Starbucks has started changing out the straws in some of their drinks by utilizing a lid that has an open top so the can sip out of it. I think this idea was very innovative. I also believe another good alternative would be purchasing reusable straws. These straws can be cleaned and utilized multiple times. It is not a once and done deal once finished with the straw.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

dcarver33
This is a very eye-opening article. I think people's intentions when throwing anything away is not to be evil or malicious, we just have a lack of seriousness or urgency. If there was a way to save the life span of straws as well as help the environment, then I say, do it. This does not only help our supply of straws, but it also helps the environment around us. We have to seriously determine whether it is straws and plastic that is damaging to the earth or is if it's our own kind.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

nicole_bv
I feel so encouraged whenever I learn more about sustainable products being made. Overrunning the plastic straw dominance is a tough battle but it will be worth it. I think that having more varieties and options for the consumer to choose a trendy and eco friendly straw will incentivize this consumer demand further. I know that one of the biggest issues to keep in mind is that the main issue people have with eco friendly straws is that they do not hold well over time, it might start limping or disintegrating, which obviously means a good thing for the environment, but the consumer still wants a product that delivers on its purpose and not compromise. However there are still people who will look past this issue and "compromise" so that they choose a better alternative, but the vast majority still desire a durable straw. Another thing to work on is the pricing of the straw but I think that over time with more specialization and investment in infrastructure the cost will be going down.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

jcderksen
Interesting take on the topic of plastic straws. From my understanding, it is always beneficial for humans to find better alternatives to a problem. However, the way the government has gone about "solving" this problem seemed odd. I realize straws are a one-use plastic that is used daily by millions. However, the use of millions of tiny straws pails in comparison to factories and large companies producing much more waste than straws. There are also other countries that are much more mindless when dealing with waste and the U.S. is not on that list. While we should always strive to be better, I believe it would be more beneficial to tackle the largest fish in the pond. As for the small-scale problems, it would helpful if governments encouraged research into these issues for better alternatives.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

malikn
This post was updated on .
I think that this topic  speaks about an important problem about wasting straws. I do believe that straws can be used for major business corporations and it will help the economy. I believe that innovators will use this for the benefit of mankind. Unfortunately, humanity does not value straws as we should. My thoughts on this blog is that it had a lot of good information and I agree with this argument.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

lgerle
It really is encouraging to hear of new products that are being created to help the environment. Personally, I am not a fan of paper straws, so this other alternative method to plastic straws is definitely something that I'm willing to try. I have to admit that I still enjoy using plastic straws way better than paper because of the fact that paper does soften and disintegrate the longer it remains in your drink. It'll be interesting to see how this new brand of straws creates their advertisements and focuses on a certain target market.

Re: Using and throwing that plastic straw

audreyjohnson
I agree that this was super informative and very relative to today's time. I had no idea that there were so many alternatives to making straws that could be so cost effective. It is definetly an issue though when marketing to people as alternative straws have a bad impression already as they often disintegrate. So if people are to use them, the environmental consequences of straws need to be focused on otherwise people will choose convenience and ease over a small bit of shame.