Unapologetic Big Mac

Breanna Klett
While I personally love this commercial by McDonald's, I can see how it would offend some customers. There have been a few companies who have advertised in a way that excludes "foodies" and "hipsters." I believe this is their way of taking America back for the masses. We have seen a shift in the last decade or so from American fast food staples to healthy, organic, small restaurants that focus on quality, not speed. This commercial reminds the public of their first true love- McDonald's. I think this ad could be rated mindful or simple minded. I think the scale is subjective so it depends what your perspective it. As a non-foodie, I love this commercial and I love McDonald's new colors and branding. If I were a foodie though, I would take offense and most likely not visit a restaurant. However, I suppose McDonald's market is the average American, so foodies most likely would not be their intended audience regardless.

Re: Unapologetic Big Mac

aysiaj12
I personally did not love this commercial. I do think that it was offensive to those who take pride in being healthy and eating organic foods. It also was weird to me that they were promoting themselves as feeding people food that isn’t good for your health. The concept behind being unapologetic is great, but they could have picked something else to be unapologetic about. I also agree that the timing of this ad was not great because there’s been a huge shift from American fast food restaurants to offering healthy food options. So from McDonald’s to come out bashing those options is just foolish in my opinion.

Re: Unapologetic Big Mac

Joshua G
I loved this commercial. Honestly, I almost went a got a big mac for lunch. But leftovers require a certain duty of me. The commercial was hilarious. And Meta (needs no introduction, but he video is introducing it). Overall, I think it fit society's values. People who are going to McDonalds aren't going for kale burgers. This is the "Super Size Me" chain. And, while they have done much to address the health concerns, it is probably valuable to many of their customers that this isn't going to extend to messing with a classic. A small quibble, I believe the Big Mac has become a smaller offering over the years. So emphasizing the size was a misstep for the brand loyalist. Overall, I give it a mindful.

Re: Unapologetic Big Mac

nicole_bv
I actually thought this ad was pretty funny. Everyone knows McDonalds is not a healthy food chain and it is making a joke about how obvious that is. Nobody is forcing you to eat a big mac if you really don't want to. I believe most people that eat one are well aware that they are getting something more of a cheat meal than anything else. I think that it was an ad that perfectly displayed a sarcastic humor that a many can appreciate.

Re: Unapologetic Big Mac

jcderksen
I agree that this commercial is likely to offend a certain group of people. On the other hand, McDonald's does not likely sell to the people who would get offended over the ad anyway. I think it is perfectly fine for a company to market as they wish because if it truly comes back to hurt them, they are the only ones who suffer. It is their choice to advertise as they wish and that may come at the cost of offending people who aim to eat healthier than McDonald's. This is not to say companies should be able to promote anything as there should be legal limits but advertising a burger does not seem to break those boundaries.

Hulu

malikn
I thought that the Hulu ad was mindless because it only aimed at promoting sports content which is not a social issue or value. However, I thought the quality of the video was well-presented.

Re: Unapologetic Big Mac

malikn
I think that this topic speaks about an important problem with wasting straws. I do believe that straws can be used for major business corporations and it will help the economy. I believe that innovators will use this for the benefit of mankind. Unfortunately, humanity does not value straws as we should. My thoughts on this ad are that it had a lot of good information and I agree with this argument.

I think that McDonald’s does have great advertising commercials to show that they care about their customers and also value kid’s meals for children. However, it has faced a big reputation of how bad the food is made and it is not healthy for a regular to eat all day. There are restaurants who have health foods and it is time that Macdonalds does the same.

Re: Unapologetic Big Mac

jessicaroat
I actually thought this commercial was great because of its transparency. I have seen many restaurants try to advertise their food as healthy or vegetarian when the only true vegetarian option would be a grilled cheese. Mcdonalds has never been referred to as a healthy restaurant and this is a known fact. It is smart for Mcdonalds to focus on what it does well rather than butchering healthy offerings in hopes of attracting healthy eaters. I would say this commercial was relatively inoffensive and for this reason, it is mindful.