Pistachio Ad

Katharine C
The ad from Wonderful Pistachios featuring Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman and Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews seems to be Mindless because it neither upholds societal value nor creates stakeholder value. The attitude of the presenter toward the character eating the pistachios was disrespectful and demeaning. This advertisement treats the "Randy" character as unintelligent and lesser than the football player next to him. Even though the pistachios are supposed to improve Randy's life, this still is a poor way to promote the product. While some people may view this ad as humorous, I think it is ironically in poor taste. I don't really want to purchase goods of any kind from this company after seeing their video.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Nathan
Katharine,
I completely agree. This ad was incredibly mindless. It failed to include both societal values and the creation of stakeholder value. This commercial was so mindless, that it makes me not want to buy their pistachios because of how dumb the commercial was. Although they used celebrity football players to try and create appeal, the advertisement failed at convincing me to want to go and buy the product. Utilizing the same celebrities, what do you think they could have done different in their advertisement?

Re: Pistachio Ad

Naomi Loftsgard
I found it fascinating to see how this ad seemingly had no point to it, yet still made a connection with the viewer. I think the ad displays how much of an influence famous people can have on influencing our taste and preferences without having to have any real message.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Jessica Sylviana
I completely agree with your opinion that the advertisement does not reflect a good social value nor create stakeholder value. Even though some people find the article funny, I believe that the character in the ads is showing disrespectful and unethical attributes. This gives a bad impression of the product in the community. Furthermore, it will not be appropriate to be perceived by children. The advertisement does not reflect any good ethical values, which makes the customers does not interest on buying this product.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Marwan Bahu
I believe that the ad is not upholding any societal values, however I would argue that it increases stockholder value because it was featured during the Superbowl with a celebrity that was also in the Superbowl. Regardless if you think the commercial is in bad taste, I believe it is single-minded marketing.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Jeremiah Kim
I would classify this ad as single-minded marketing.  While it doesn't really emphasize or uphold any societal values, I believe that it does generate stakeholder value through their use of celebrities representing their product.  While some people might not know who these players are, many people are influenced by the decisions and choices that professional athletes make.  There doesn't need to be any real message when someone reputable is representing your product as long as they are not involved in negative behavior.

Re: Pistachio Ad

eugene hong
I agree with your opinion that the advertisement doesn't portray a valuable societal value or stakeholder value. The character that this ad portrays is very disrespectful and rude, even though it is trying to market an entertaining view. This brings a negative view to the community around. The advertisement tends to make it unwatchable for the younger audience, which makes it hard for this product to be profitable through the ad.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Samantha Penor
Hi Katherine, as a huge fan of the Seattle Seahawks, I found this advertisement for Pistachios was very disappointing. I do agree that this ad is completely mindless and the company is only using the clout of the football players to draw attention. I do agree that the way the football player was talking to the young man was very demeaning and condescending. This advertisement did not create or uphold any social value.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Jennar
I would agree. The ad did not prove to create any substantial value for stakeholders and was also in poor taste. Therefore, I would classify it as a mindless marketing tactic.

Re: Pistachio Ad

lgerle
It's amazing how one decision a company makes can change the way you view that company in such a negative way to where it makes you not want to support their products. I'm that way with singer/songwriters. There are famous singers who have made poor decisions, support things I don't agree with, and made songs that are offensive to a point where I don't want to listen to their music anymore and support what they do. The image that companies put out there and how they portray themselves is a major contributor to their growth in consumer satisfaction.

Re: Pistachio Ad

Jack Farrah
This pistachio ad (and quite a few other ones) seemed incredibly mindless. The elephant (who represents the consumer) is always displayed as careless, crude, or subhuman almost. He's always making bad decisions except when it comes to pistachios. This makes you think that if he's making all these bad decisions, is buying pistachios a bad decision too? These ads serve no purpose but to insult the customer and lose business.

Re: Pistachio Ad

NWilding
This was a strange one, I love Pistachios, and this really off-put me from the brand. It was somewhat humous but came off more than their consumers were "uncool" than "winners." Even with a popular celebrity spokesperson, the message was the star of the show and it did come off fairly "mindless" in my opinion.

Re: Pistachio Ad

jordanmiwilliams
Hi Katherine, thank you for your thoughts. I do agree with you that it is not okay to make fun of people in the sense that happened in the ad. This ad definitely does not uphold societal values. However, I do think that the ad promotes stockholder value, since there are very famous people in it. Consumers will be drawn to being more like the celebrities they admire. It also is a somewhat humorous approach to pistachios being helpful, which consumers might enjoy. Even though it is not as effective as other ads, it can still add some value to the company.

Re: Pistachio Ad

BrandonMcClean
I agree with your assessment on this advertisement. I'm a big fan of the Seattle Seahawks, so it's a bummer that this advertisement turned out to be pretty mindless. I agree that "Randy" is treated as a lesser figure in the advertisement, which is not a good look for the company. I think one obvious step into making a mindful advertisement is to treat everyone in the ad of equal value. I didn't find any part of the ad humorous, it was more confusing to me.

Re: Pistachio Ad

jk27city
This ad was interesting because I like both of the athletes in it, but I would agree with a lot of the comments on this ad that it was rather pointless. At the end of the day, this ad did not really look to promote societal values or stakeholder value. I think it was very simple compared to some of the elaborate ads shown at the Super Bowl. The fact that this ad was aired during the Super Bowl does give a great platform for the company.

Re: Pistachio Ad

to1180
I would say that this ad is mindless. The biggest driving factor was that it does nothing to uphold any societal values. I also do not really see how it upholds stakeholder value either. It is not the worst ad but it seemed pretty pointless to me. If I had never eaten or even heard of Wonderful Pistachios before today I would not really make an effort to try it.

Re: Pistachio Ad

jiuer7845
https://www.pandoras-jewelry.com/ Pandora Jewelry
https://www.pandoraoutlet.org/ Pandora Outlet